Battle Ground man receives 18 months on federal firearms charges


A Battle Ground man received an 18-month sentence in federal court in connection to a six-hour standoff with police in 2019.

On May 3, U.S. Attorney Nick Brown announced Lynn Manley Cargile, 44, received the sentence on convictions of being a felon in possession of firearms.

Cargile was arrested Dec. 26, 2019, following a standoff at his Battle Ground home. He was indicted federally for the firearms charges in August 2021.

According to court records, Cargile’s ex-wife called police to Cargile’s home after he allegedly pushed her onto their bed and refused to allow her to get up. When she attempted to flee, Cargile pulled her back into the house by her hair.

During the standoff, law enforcement used “flash-bang” devices to get Cargile to leave the house, a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice stated. When officers entered the home to secure it, they found numerous firearms.

After getting a search warrant, officers found an AR-15 style rifle with a swastika on the rifle butt, a short-barreled rifle, and two silencers, one of which had “SS Bolts” markings, the release stated. Prior felony convictions in Clark County between 1999 and 2003 prohibited Cargile from possessing firearms.

Prior to his August indictment, Cargile was servicing a 29-month prison sentence in state custody for domestic violence stemming from the standoff.

At his sentencing hearing, Cargile said he had renounced his white supremacist views, the release stated.

“For the first time in my life I want to do something different,” Cargile said at his sentencing. “My goal is to be a good dad, serve God and give back to my community.”

Cargile was ordered to be on supervised release for three years following his prison sentence with appropriate drug and mental health treatment, the release stated.

“If you want your children to have a different life (than you), it’s up to you to model that for them,” Chief U.S. District Judge Ricardo S. Martinez said at the sentencing. 

The Battle Ground Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF) investigated the case.