Athletes on Hockinson’s Washington High School Equestrian Team (WAHSET), in the final district meet of their season on Saturday, April 15, earned trips to state and medals in over a dozen events.
In team sports, Hockinson’s large drill team earned a silver medal for the season and punched a ticket to state. Riders include sophomore Jewel Atchley, freshmen Liz Connors, Brooklyn Slaby and Evelyn Vosler, and seniors Ellie Barrett and Kaleigh Finklein.
Hockinson will also send a team in the “team versatility category,” which likewise earned a second place district medal and a state berth. Riders on that team are Atchley, Slaby, Vosler and junior Braden Roth.
In two-man birangle, freshman Ethan Wilcox and senior Ellie Barrett earned a bronze medal for the season and will head to state.
With the same results, Wilcox, Roth and Barrett joined senior Allison Domingos in the Canadian flag race competition. Domingos and senior Clara DeWitt will also be first-place state alternates in the team sorting category.
In individual categories, results are as follows:
• Breakaway roping: Roth, first place; Barrett, fourth place.
Steer daubing: Roth, first place; Domingos, alternate (fourth place overall)
• Reining: Slaby, fourth place, state qualifier
• Barrels: Wilcox, second place; Barrett, state qualifier; Domingos, state qualifier
• Keyhole: Wilcox, state qualifier
• Working rancher: Roth, alternate
• Pole bending: Wilcox, third place; Domingos, state qualifier
• Stock seat: Slaby, third place
• Jumping: Vosler, third place
In each category, the top three or top 10% of athletes in the district head to state, whichever number is higher.
The state tournament will be held in Moses Lake on the weekend of May 19 to May 21.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here