In loving memory of Harold McCarty: 1919-2022 


Harold Roy “Mac” McCarty, of Salmon Creek, passed away at the age of 103 in the early morning of Nov. 2, 2022. He was born in Billings, Montana to Roy and Rose McCarty. 

In July 1945, Harold married Joyce Wylet in Wenatchee, Washington. Shortly thereafter they moved to Vancouver and began their family. After 71 years of marriage, his loving wife Joyce passed away in 2016. His daughter-in-law, Suzanne, and his granddaughter, Shannon Lane, also preceded him in death. 

Harold retired in 1975 from the U.S. Postal Service. He was an avid golfer and salmon and steelhead fisherman. Harold and Joyce took many road/camping trips throughout the Pacific Northwest, Canada and Alaska. He was happy gardening, pruning his beautiful roses, painting landscapes, playing poker, going on casino excursions from here to Reno, Nevada, and singing. Some may remember him from his family run concession stands in Lewisville Park in the 1960s. 

Harold was the last remaining crew member of his WWII aircrew. He was a very proud serviceman and survived over 50 combat missions as an aerial gunman on B24s throughout Europe. He was a member of the 449th Bomb Group, 15th Army Air Force, 718th Bomb Squadron stationed in Grottaglie, Italy. 

He is survived by his four sons, Pat (Jette), Tim (Nanette) and Dan (Suzanne) McCarty, all from the Vancouver area, and Dick (Margaret) Callaghan, of Spokane, Washington; and his two daughters, Kathy (Bruce) Barker, of Battle Ground, and Sandy Spencer, of Spokane. Harold also leaves behind 17 grandchildren, 34 great-grandchildren, and 14 great-great-grandchildren. 

He will be dearly missed by all who knew and loved him. 

The McCarty family would like to give a special thanks to all of the staff and residents of Van Mall Retirement Home who looked after the wise cracking “singing Irishman” over the past five years. They brought him as much joy as he gave to them. 

Services were held on Nov. 12, 2022, at Layne’s Funeral Home in Battle Ground, Washington. A Patriot Guard escort took Harold to Northwood Park Cemetery in Ridgefield, Washington, where he was interred with military honors.