Houses across Battle Ground will compete this December in the annual Battle of Lights, hosted by Battle Ground Parks and Recreation Department. The judging period began Dec. 4 and will end Dec. 22. Prizes will be awarded to the top five entries. Parks and Recreation will post a map with all registered entries, called Tour of Lights, this week at cityofbg.org/934/Battle-of-Lights---Holiday-Decorating-Co.
All participants will be located within Battle Ground city limits. Local residents are encouraged to rank the decorated homes to help the board of judges determine the winner.
Once the Tour of Lights goes live, people can cast their votes for their favorites on the City of Battle Ground website, Communications Manager and Public Information Officer Alisha Smith said.
Christmas decorations will be judged based on four criteria, according to the Parks and Recreation event website:
• Unique design and creative use of lights and decorations
• Storyline or theme
• Display and placement or decorations, animated objects, etc.
• Overall presentation
Only visible exterior decorations will be judged during the competition. Window decorations will also be factored into the judge’s final decision.
Five awards will be given during Battle of Lights:
• People’s Choice Award, which will be chosen solely by public vote
• Mayor’s Choice award, selected by Mayor Philip Johnson
• Parks & Rec Choice award, selected by Parks and Recreation staff and public vote
• The Griswold award, chosen by both Parks and Recreation and public vote
• Sponsor’s Choice award, selected by representatives from Columbia Credit Union
This will be the second annual Battle of the Lights. Last year, 22 entrants registered for the competition, and Smith expects more this year.
“This started as a desire to offer more festive fun for community members,” Smith said.
Competition winners will receive one of five prizes, each $100 in value. The awards are sponsored by Columbia Credit Union.
Stay tuned for how to vote in the holiday light competition by visiting cityofbg.org/934/Battle-of-Lights---Holiday-Decorating-Co.